yahoo - 5/19/2026 7:52:07 PM - GMT (+2 )
After going through the NBA Draft process — including putting on a show at the NBA Combine — forward Morez Johnson Jr. is officially staying in the draft and will not return to Michigan next season, he told ESPN.
BREAKING: Michigan forward Morez Johnson Jr., who started all 40 games en route to a national championship, is keeping his name in the NBA draft, his agents Austin Brown, Aaron Mintz and Max Saidman of CAA Basketball told ESPN. Projected top-20 pick after a strong Combine. pic.twitter.com/Z5BRsFZhXi
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) May 19, 2026
“From Day 1, coach (Dusty) May told us he was going to help develop us on and off the court, and the goal was to win a national championship,” Johnson told ESPN. “We accomplished that mission. I am excited to chase my lifelong dream of playing in the NBA.”
Johnson played in all 40 games this past season for the maize and blue, averaging 13.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 1.2 blocks per game while shooting 62.3 percent from the field and 34.3 percent from three. He leaves college on a major high note, putting up 12 points and 10 rebounds in the National Championship vs UConn.
Following the conclusion of the season, Johnson — along with fellow Wolverine big man Aday Mara — declared for the 2026 NBA Draft while maintaining his collegiate eligibility. He went through the NBA Combine and impressed attendees by measuring in at 6-foot-9 (barefoot) and 251 pounds. He also has a 7-foot-3 wingspan and an 8-foot-11 standing reach. Additionally, Johnson had the highest maximum vertical (39 inches) among all forwards at the event.
Perhaps what impressed folks the most was his shooting, as he drained 17-of-25 three-pointers at the Combine. Johnson only went 12-of-35 on three-pointers all of last season, so to make them at a 68 percent clip — albeit a small sample size — is exactly what NBA front offices wanted to see out of him.
With Johnson officially done at the college level, Dusty May and company have one roster spot remaining for the 2026-27 season. May spoke about that with Andy Katz when the two of them were at the NBA Combine and how they would be “prepared to pivot” in the event Johnson stays in the draft.
“We have one (open roster) spot — we’re just waiting and taking a wait-and-see approach with Morez and certainly anticipating him having a difficult decision because of how well he’s played in Chicago,” May said. “But we’ll support him, and then if he does stay in, we’ll be prepared to pivot. We like our team regardless, but obviously, he raises our ceiling like (Yaxel Lendeborg) did last year.”
It’s unclear whether May will get another player through the portal, the high school ranks, or internationally, but it sounds like he and his staff have a plan in place to put their best foot forward for next season.
In the meantime while we wait on those developments, we wish Johnson nothing but the best as he pursues his dreams of being an NBA player.
read more


